Sunday, June 22, 2008

Welcome!

Hello, and welcome to my new blog!

I am a recent graduate and started a new job three weeks ago. Fresh out of school, I’m finding myself $60,000 in student loan debt, with a meager $7,000 in savings. To add to the pain, I work in a field where I will most likely never earn a large salary. (I am, however, very happy in my chosen career, which is the important part for me.) Since my earning potential is somewhat limited, I’m looking at ways to save money in order to stretch my salary as far as possible.

I’m starting this blog as a way to keep track of my progress towards my financial goals. As someone who knows only the very basics about personal finance, I have a lot to learn. I’ve also gotten into some bad habits while I was in school, because money was not my top priority. I stopped sticking to a budget, keeping track of where my money was going, and taking simple steps to save money on everyday expenses (such as clipping grocery coupons). Now that I’ve met my goal of earning my Master’s degree and getting a job in my field, I’m planning to be more cautious with my money.

Luckily, I’ve always been careful with my money, which means I have an excellent credit rating and almost no credit card debt. I have several goals for myself and my family, which I will be addressing here. Some of my interests include, saving, investing, smart shopping, and real estate. I’m hoping that keeping this blog will help me to keep my long-term goals in mind and give me the motivation to be more conscious of my finances.

Disclaimer: I am not a financial adviser. This is meant to be a personal finance blog and not a source of financial advice for others. Please consult a financial professional for assistance.

No comments: