Sunday, June 29, 2008

Oh, my bleeding heart...

So I mentioned in my last post that I try to "live by my principles." What does that mean for me? Well, it means a few things:
  • Working for nonprofits - In my profession, I work only for non-profit organizations. The majority of my work history has been with non-profits, and I will probably spend the rest of my life working for them.
  • Being a vegetarian - I haven't eaten meat since I was thirteen. This is a personal choice for me. Disclaimer: I'm not judging other people or their choices, but this is what's right for me. There are many reasons why I choose to be a vegetarian. If it's something you've ever considered, you may be interested in a FREE Vegetarian Starter Kit.
  • Being a Caring Consumer - I try to never buy from companies that test on animals. Instead, I give my hard-earned money to companies that DO NOT test on animals.
  • Buying green - This goes hand-in-hand with being a caring consumer. I try to buy mostly environmentally-friendly products.
  • Giving back - Yes, I want to live comfortably and be smart about my money, but it's also important to give money back to ethical charities. Two of my favorite charities are the ASPCA and Farm Sanctuary. Giving back can be as simple as a click of your mouse.

And yes, I am proud to call myself both a bleeding heart and a tree hugger.

No comments: